Ashes Smoke Pookie Kitty Taylo by Alicia Taylor / Love,


Ashes was born on a farm in Salida Colorado on April 8, 1995 and at the end of May my sister brought her home to my mom for her birthday present. She was 8 weeks old and really tiny and scared. After a couple of weeks she came to like us and the other 4 cats we had. She was my mom’s cat for the first 2 years. Then when we moved to Denver all the sudden she wanted to be with me all the time. We slept together, played together, she “inspected” and ate everything I did. She never left my room. If I stayed at a friends house all night, she would just stay in my room and wait for me to come home. When I was 19 I moved out of my parents house and into my own apartment. Of course she came with me. She was nervous at first because she had lived at my mom’s house her whole life. But once she knew I’d be there with her she was fine.

Every night when I went to sleep she slept under the covers with me, with her head snuggled under my neck. She stayed that way for hours, sometimes all night. She also had a few very special toys that always had to sleep with us too. A blue mouse, named Blue, a pink string with a hairtie tied to the end of it, and 2 catnip stuffed little socks. We had birthday parties with a can of tuna and a candle in it. We sang happy birthday then she blew out the candle. She had her own stocking at Christmas and her own presents too. When I got my own apartment I also had 2 other cats, Gizzy Bear and Rocky. She didn’t mind them but she new I was HER mommy. And wasn’t big on sharing. She never had to before. Everytime anything when wrong in my life she was there.

As a teenager and as an adult. If I cried she didn’t leave my side till I was ok. And she licked the tears from my face. She was the bestest friend I could ever ask for. Then about 3 weeks ago she started getting sick. She didn’t eat as much, drink as much, bathe as much. She just seemed sadder. Then at the end of May 2008 she didn’t eat for 4 days and didn’t drink for 3 days. I knew she was giving up and I didn’t want her to feel guilty for that.

On June 2, 2008 I got up and found her hiding behind my son’s crib. I pulled her out and sat with her on the couch. About an hour later she wanted down, so I put her down. I noticed she was having trouble walking and it took her over 9 hours to move less than 20 feet. She then hid in the bottom hole of the cat post and I knew that was a bad sign from previous experience. So that night I grabbed my pillow and a blanket and slept on the floor next to her. On June 3, 2008, Gizzy’s birthday, I had to take my 8 month old son and my husband to the airport. They were going to visit my in-laws. I chose to stay home to be with Ashes. I was gone almost 3 hours and when I got home I saw her head laying out of the cat post. So I went and layed with her.

I explained to her that it was okay to go and that I would be ok. We would be together again soon. And that my dad would take care of her until I got there. And she could still watch over me and be there for me and cuddle with me. About 2 minutes after I said that, she took her last breath. It was the hardest thing I’ve done, next to losing my dad at 9 years old. She truly my best friend and made the 14 years I had with her absolutely greatest. I love her like she is my child. She will always be with me everyday in everything I do. I will still talk to her and I know she’ll be waiting for me. I love you princess and I know you’re in a better, happier place.


I'll always love you!!
Ashes Smoke Pookie Kitty Taylo
Alicia Taylor